Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A picture worth a thousand words

I haven’t always been a person who reads books for pleasure, but as you grow up the hunger for knowledge becomes more intense. So the first form of literature I read, voluntarily, was a book which had a collection of short stories. This book is called “From the pit of hell to the spring of life” by Daniel Kunene. It’s a book I got from my older brother whom after many failed attempts to get me to read, was somewhat glad to see that his advice did not fall upon deaf ears. Every sentence in this book has vivid adjectives which create some sort of visual imagery. So painting a picture on a blank canvas using nothing but words is what I’m going to attempt doing. The next two paragraphs will give you an encounter I had with a particular lady.


I’m in a room full of people, yet I feel so alone. As I kill time by doing nothing of importance, she graces me with her presence. Suddenly time seems to slow down and by holding her hand with the uttermost gentleness I say my greetings. Through conversation, we discover each others level of intelligence and somehow fall into a comfort zone that invites subtle flirting. Although she seems unreal, I know that my mind would not be able to imagine such indescribable beauty. So I shook aside the silly notion that she might be a figment of my own imagination, created deep within a maze of thought.

She is superior to Aphrodite the goddess of love and beauty. Her eyes are clear and mysterious; she sees past my skeleton exterior and looks through the windows of my soul seeking for the unknown. Her voice is pleasant and unfamiliar; it echoes through the chambers of my mind making all other sounds inaudible. As we stand face to face, so close that the rhythm of our heart beats becomes one and her breath warms my skin. It’s as if all these concrete walls that surround us have faded away. All I see is clear blue skies with cotton like clouds that move slow and effortless, hills covered with bright flowers that dance in the gentle afternoon breeze. My eyes begin to feast upon lips that glitter in the sunlight. I get these raging desires that topple any sensible thought. Like a person who’s in the Garden of Eden, I’m tempted to take a bite from the forbidden fruit. Tracing human nature back to the creation of Adam and Eve shows that ultimately temptation and mischief will triumph. But the question still remained, will I kiss her or will I not?

No comments:

Post a Comment